Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Andree Family Canoe

It was fresh out of the mold when we picked it up from a shop in south St. Louis in 1964. It had no gunwales, thwarts or even seats. It was 17 feet of a bare canoe shell. Dad fashioned the seats from plywood cradled on aluminum tubing with 3 inch styrofoam bolted to the bottom. The thwarts were the same aluminum tubing that held the seats. The gunwales were wood tucked up under a fiberglass lip along the shear and screwed into place. It was our family yacht.


Abandoning ship at an Indian Guide campout at Lake Pomme de Terre
My love affair with boats and the water began when we took it out on its maiden voyage. My parents launched the canoe in the Big River in Cedar Hill, Missouri, about twenty miles from our house. I wore a Mae West life jacket that nearly swallowed up my six year old head. I stared in wonder at the minnows in the stream, the grasses growing up through the water, and the water rippling over the rocks.
The first time I was allowed to take the canoe out without an adult was with my friend Dave. We were at Lake Pomme de Terre on an Indian Guide campout. I sat in the back and Dave sat up front. We thought we had it all figured out. We pushed out into the water and proceeded to paddle in circles. We couldn't get it to go straight at all. All of my watery adventures began in that canoe.

Getting ready to leave Grandma and Grandpa Andree's house at " Dead End"

It was finally stolen from the banks of the Huron River in Ypsilanti, Michigan in the early 80's. From trips on the Big River to Sturgeon Bay, the Meramec River to Kentucky Lake it was a workhorse that took us safely on our adventures.

No comments: